Computer Programming classes tend to have about 10% girls versus boys (though some had 20% and 40%).
Applications classes tend to have about 50+% girls.
Why do girls enroll in programming classes?
- Counselor dumps girls in class
- Family influence (male relative often)
- Meet boys
- Teacher recommends
- Instructor (Good or Easy)
- Like the material (logical, like puzzles)
- Job opportunities
Why don't girls enroll in programming classes?
- Negative stereotypes (girls aren't smart, not technical)
- Turned off by stereotypes (nerds)
- Made fun of if show they are techincal
- No role models
- Math phobic
- Class is hard
- Vocational stereotype
- Not encouraged
- Not relevant
- Don't like it
Why do girls enroll in applications classes?
- Easy (no homework)
- Required for graduation
- Job Skills (and classroom skills)
- Use knowledge in other classes
- Expected (girls might to secretaries)
- Peer pressure
Why does it matter?
- Fairness (computer science has high paying jobs)
- Not very diverse workforce (people design stuff for themselves)
- Workforce (more outsourcing)
How to encourage diversity?
- Get information out to the schools
- Do talks at the schools
- Get students to visit
Link to this Page