Intern lunches on Fridays
During summer 2000 (see below) interns from several companies met on Fridays for lunch in the vicinity of the workplaces. Express interest here and we can do it again this summer.
Intern lunch anybody? Sametime Jennifer Liu if interested. Probably leaving Lotus around noon too.
First organized intern lunch! Sametime Derek Lam if interested =). Probably leaving Lotus around noon.
"I Love You, You're Perfect, Now Change" at the Stuart Street Playhouse 5/28 - 7/1, tickets $29.50-$49, group discounts available
more information: boston.com
"I Love You, You're Perfect, Now Change" is the fast funny and tuneful look at the joys and pitfalls of dating, romance and marriage that strikes a chord of recognition in people of all ages. This sexy zippy hit musical about men and women, dating, dining, doin' chick flix, being a stud, a babe, dancin' the marriage tango and yes......having kids.....has been called 'Seinfeld' set to music!" and "the most entertaining show on or off Broadway!"
Past Events (2000)
- Marcel Marceau is at ART for a few more weeks I think - I saw the show with another Lotus intern (Mark Luber) and it was excellent. Most shows are probably pretty full but it's worth investigating. -Regina
- No other interns joined me but my brother came up and escorted me to Tattoo the Earth... We each got some piercings and a henna tattoo and enjoyed the music to the extent possible :)... did anyone know tattooing is illegal in Massachusetts?! -Regina
- Yeah, that's why there's so much interest in other forms of body modification like branding and the such. Although anyone who wants one can just hop accross the border to New Hampshire. Tatooing is such an integrated part of life down in Maryland (like tobacco and country music) that everyone from my college was shocked to hear that it was illegal here in Massachusetts. -Alex
- July 12th Intern Shindig at MERL - Itinerary
- On July 6th, the Harvard Film Archive is showing Fellini's 8 1/2, one of my favorite films of all time. It's at 7pm and in Italian (with subtitles). E-mail: email@example.com if you wanna join me. -Alexei
- For the anglophile in you: the Boston Academy of Music is putting on three FREE performances of Gilbert and Sullivan's H.M.S. Pinafore this weekend on the USS Constitution herself (Old Ironsides). The performance dates are June 30, July 1, 2. Come see an American historical site tramped upon by people in costumes, singing the catchy tunes of this British Light Opera. Sideshow Bob not included. (More info)
- Concert on july 9th, 5pm-7pm: Boston pops, Franklin Park.
- Dave Matthews anyone? Sat. @Foxboro. – Leo - firstname.lastname@example.org
- Some of us have been enjoying the recent spate of French movies being screened in Boston. The focus now shifts to the Boston French film festival at the Museum of Fine Arts from July 6-23 (see schedule). -rahul
- Last Friday night I saw _Les Enfants du Marais_ [Children of the Marsh] It is showing again on the 15th. I recomend it. It isn't trying to make any particular point so the drama and humor shine through. Well directed, acted and written. Some of the actors sure looked familar but I couldn't place them... guess I could go look it up in imdb BTW the subtitles often were washed out by the scenery but it doesn't matter much [steinhur]
- Anyone interested in a tour of "Boston Underground"?
- Description: The Underground tour is a study of the engineering beneath the city surface...electric lines, gas, sewers, landfill, etc. There is some explanation of what's going on with the BIG DIG. The only part actually spent underground is a subway ride. There are no areas on the tour that are not accessible to the general public. Hannah Diozzi: Boston by Foot Program Coordinator ... Sunday 2pm. (link)
Informal Intern Lunch on Friday July 7th
Meet at noon outside the Marriott near Kendall Square on the Broadway Street side and we'll walk over to the Grove, a favorite lunch spot for MERL people. Update: We had a good time but only MERL people showed up. Same time next week? If the other labs don't show we will have to start taunting them... :)
Sorry, all of us Lotus people were having our own lunch at the same time.
Informal Intern Lunch on Friday July 14
We had a good time all going out to eat on Friday. Let's do it again - any suggestions for lunch on this Friday? MT
How about Poppa and Goose (I'm not sure that's spelled correctly) near Lotus? It's got an all-you-can-eat lunch buffet for $7.50, and the food is "pan-asian cuisine" (the people who run it are Vietnamese, but Vietnamese food doesn't sell as well as Chinese or Thai, so they serve those too).
Sounds good - how about some specific directions and meeting places and times so we can meet y'all there on Friday?
Do you know how to get to the Cambridge Side Galleria? Why don't we just meet in front of that (the end that's closer to Kendall Square and Lotus) at noon, and I'll show you the way to the restaurant. If you need directions to the Galleria, email me. The restaurant is on First Street, on the side opposite the Galleria and a block or two away from Lotus. Brian Campbell
How many people will actually be coming from MERL and Compaq? It would be nice to know, so I'll know when everyone has shown up. Brian Campbell>Brian_Campbell@lotus.com
MERL will be there in full effect. Last week we had a dozen people, and hope to repeat or increase that number on Friday.
Well, we had a great time, and we got about 10-12 people from Lotus and 10-12 from MERL (and maybe one or two from Extreme Blue, although I'm not sure). Now that we've had one at MERL and one at Lotus, let's see about having one at Compaq next week.
OK, let's see about week 3. I think it's time that the Compaq people showed themselves. How about it? Could one of the Compaq people suggest a place?
Update: Lunch on Friday July 21st will be at the Grove. We will meet at the Kendall T stop at noon, (on the Main Street side) and walk over to the Grove from there.
So are we on for 7/28 or what? If anyone knows the plan, please post asap. Thanks. -Regina
July 28th Lunch: Meet at Kendall Square at noon - we'll dine at the food court, unless someone can suggest something better...
- Yuck, I'd rather do the Grove again.
- We can still go there, dudely
On Friday, August 4th, we'll be going to the K2 Cafe, on Main Street across from the Marriott - see you there!
Friday August 11th - meet at Kendall Square T Stop at noon
George Clinton and the P-Funk All Stars are playing July 9th at the Roxy. If you've never been to a George Clinton concert, you definitely need to go – you don't need to know his music. It's just one big jam fest
Update: the concert was a jam, though everyone who went from MERL left after 2 1/2 hours of funk to get some sleep for the Monday morning grind
I'm planning on going whale watching on Saturday, July 15th - if you're interested, drop me a line. MT
Any interest in a run down to various piers for Sail Boston 2000?
Various events through the 21st. Note that I'll be away for the
weekend... Go look at http://www.sailboston.com/schedule.shtml for more info, and then email me. DF
Basketball - summer pro league
The Shaw summer pro league at UMass Boston, July 17-24. This year's draft picks and free agents from the Celtics, Knicks, Spurs, Pacers and more. Tickets>http://www.ticketmaster.com/cgi/artist.idc?searchname=SHAWS_NBA_PRO_SUMMER_LEAGUE&type=merch&majorcat=SPORTS&minorcat=64 are $8.00 for each session (2 or 3 games). Email rahul>email@example.com if you are interested.