View this PageEdit this PageAttachments to this PageHistory of this PageHomeRecent ChangesSearch the SwikiHelp Guide
Hotspots: Admin Pages | Turn-in Site |
Current Links: Cases Final Project Summer 2007

C.o.C Blawkers MileStone #4

CoC Blawkers Milestone # 4 ñ A Case Study

Our group, the CoC Blawkers, is comprised of:

Aamir Kazi ñ Aamir is from Evans, GA and is a junior at Georgia Tech.
Tejas Patel ñ Tejas is from Pooler, GA and is also a junior at Georgia Tech.
Daniel Phommatep ñ Daniel is from Roswell, GA and is also a junior at Georgia Tech.

The three team members knew each other from before and joined forces to form the CoC Blawkers for the Summer 2340 session. This writeup pertains to Milestone #4, putting up the LaTeX MathEquation on the web.

The toughest lesson learned in this milestone was getting our previous milestoneís stuff working. We learned that we shouldíve finished it at the proper time because we ended up doing it anyways, so there was no point in not getting credit for it. But as it turns out, we learned this the hard way and worked on the parsing of input in LaTeX format before we even started to put this up on the web.

Once we had the old milestone working, we first sat down and designed how we would accomplish the next milestone and which team member would play which roles. Since this milestone did not appear that difficult, we agreed on a joint effort to do the coding. All three team members had self motivation and it wasnít hard to get this group going. All three members provided their own leadership.

In our design, we broke up the milestone into a few chunks. Our first chunk involved converting our current display into a GIF or something else that was easily displayed on the Web.

The second part of our design was to figure out how to display that GIF, or any GIF for that matter, on a webpage. This part included setting up the server and getting it going to allow us to do that.

The last part of our design was to actually get an HTML page up there where we could get input from the user and send it into our MathEquation LaTeX parser.

Now that we had this project broken into three groups, the implementation was left. The tranformation of our display to a GIF was simple. It required one line of code and we know had a GIF. After accomplishing that, we moved on to the second goal we had. That involved displaying that GIF on the webpage using squeak. We found in order to do this, we had to go to the third chunk of our design and actually get the server up and running. Looking in the lecture slides and in the manual we were able to get a simple HTML file up and running on the local host, which we were able to identify. Then after we had a simple file up and running, we generated an HTML file that would take in input and send that input to a Squeak method. Initially, we just had it print to the transcript to confirm that we were gathering our input properly. After that was done, we just had to redirect our input to the LaTeX parser. The GIF that it returned was stored in our local drive. Going back to our ìsecondî chunk of our milestone, we had to display this GIF on the web. We got a little hung up on this part because we attempted to do it generating an HTML file on the fly. This got a little messy and we had to stop and regroup to redesign the remaining part of our project. We decided that we could just use another pregenerated HTML file that would have a reference to the new GIF image that we construct, and that page would get called after we had parsed our input.

The CoC blawkers worked with good teamwork, efficiency, communication, and self motivation and finally finished their last milestone of the summer!

Link to this Page