Hotspots: Admin Pages | Turn-in Site |
Current Links: Cases Final Project Summer 2007
General Group Synergy & Organization Tips
Working with Your Team
Random team mates can be awesome or it can suck, but that really is up to you. This course is meant to teach team work as well as object oriented design.
- Hold meetings at the beginning of the week, preferably on Monday because the course is well structured and you will have a good idea of what your work will be for that week
- Just because one person cannot meet, that is not an excuse for no one to meet. A little progress is better than no progress.
- Communicate often via email! everyone should be on the same page and know when demo day/time is with the TA
- When unable to meet due to conflicting schedules, divide up the work - but be careful not to rewrite a previous version in the visual works repository when uploading on your own time.
- When working on writing the code for you project, it is highly recommended to have a few serious coding sessions where all team members are present and working on their delegated classes. This is because classes will interact, and it is therefore very helpful to be able to discuss the logic of a team member's code when problems arise or to avoid problems/errors.
- Never be afraid to redesign.
- Always keep your cool under stress and remember that the TAs are always a resource
- There are times when your group members have rough weeks and you don't...take one for the team and help them out with their workload.
- Don't be afraid to ask your teammates for help just because the work was divided and it was your responsibility to complete it. Learn from each other & teach eachother. It will pay off during the group final at the end of the semester.
- Don't be stingy, no one is perfect.
- Make sure 1 person is responsible for turning in every milestone. Consistency is appreciated by the TAs.
- Make sure 1 person is the manager of the team. This person should be responsible for the current status of the project as well as who is working on what and towards which milestone.
- Very often in the class you will find yourself trying to make up points during the next milestone's demo day. Always finish previous milestones before moving on. Domain level has to be completed before GUI, there's just no way around that.
- Know when to divide and conquer. Also know when to join forces and obliterate.
- Learn each other's strengths and weakness early on. If you are given a task you are not comfortable with, speak up. Let your team mates know what you are good at and what you aren't familiar with soon.
Even though this has nothing to do with group synergy, it is amazing how many people take this class while being completely oblivious to this feature in Visual Works. If you haven't already, do the following:
- Open visualworks as usual. Hover over the System icon at the top of the window and click on parcel manager to open a new window.
- After you have done this, open the Environment Enhancements folder.
- Scroll down until you see RBCodeHighlighting .
- Right click on the text and click load.
- You may have to restart visualworks for the highlighing to function correctly.
Link to this Page
- Cases last edited on 30 July 2011 at 2:33 am by r59h132.res.gatech.edu