Hotspots: Admin Pages | Turn-in Site |
Current Links: Cases Final Project Summer 2007
Discussion 4 - Eric Amy
An application written by Ivan Sutherland in 1963. It was the first fully GUI system and was object oriented. It's considered to be an ancestor to modern-day CAD programs.
The first object oriented programming languange, developed at the Norwegian Computing Center in Oslo.
Ivan Sutherland; Ole-Johan Dahl and Kristen Nygaard; and Alan Kay
- Who were the key people associated with Sketchpad, Simula, and the original Smalltalk?
Squeak is a SmallTalk. Sketchpad pioneered the GUI. Simula started OOP. And SmallTalk is the purest OO language. Squeak is a SmallTalk that emphasizes and thrives on its GUI.
- What do they have to do with Squeak?
OOP makes it easier to apply programming logic to real-world entities. The Real world has nouns(objects) and verbs(methods) to describe it. OOP as Simula was first used for Simulations (hence the name).
- How did OO ideas get out into the mainstream (out of the research lab)?
Links to this Page
- Eric Amy last edited on 14 December 2005 at 7:51 pm by adsl-211-13-88.asm.bellsouth.net
- Fall 2005 Discussion 4 last edited on 6 December 2005 at 3:45 pm by r36h51.res.gatech.edu