Hotspots: Admin Pages | Turn-in Site |
Current Links: Cases Final Project Summer 2007
Lab 9 Questions
Questions about Lab9 - Sp2000
What exactly are we supposed to turn in? Is the code all you want, or do you also want modified design documents?
- We only want the code that you create. Make sure to include your group name and team members somewhere in a class comment. -Patrick Parker
At particular instances the stock ticker gives us two different values for the same stock. Which value are we supposed to use? Or are we supposed to take the average of the values?
- The last one that appears is the most recent. However, that doesn't necessarily mean you should ignore the first one(s). -Patrick Parker
Is a web based interface for Lab9 acceptable?
- Nope. Just stick with a Squeak viewable version for now. (Note that you shouldn't run PWS and STS at the same time on the same image because they use the same class variables.) -Patrick Parker
It would have made a heck of a lot more sense for the TAs to setup STS on some machine somewhere for the entire class. This would allow, of course, the web interface to work. This would also eliminate much of the necessary documentation/setup stuff to make sure our products interact with the appropriate ticker source. Can this still be done? Matthew Wolenetz
- But then you would miss all the fun of running it yourself :-) Have you tried running the STS yet? It is very easy, so I don't understand what "documentation/setup stuff" you are having problems with, unless you hard-coded your Newspaper to always start PWS. Could you explain further? -Patrick Parker
- So how do you think our monitor is supposed to contact the "running" STS? Guess where it is?? Guess where you guys are gonna run it?? This is what I mean by "setup stuff". Matthew Wolenetz
- Ahh, I see. Don't make the lab harder than it is. You can just assume that it will be running on the localhost. -Patrick Parker
So, what's up with STS defaulting to port 227? It's understandable that it wouldn't be tested on anything but windows since Squeak is totally cross-platform, but it should really give an error when it fails rather than saying that it's started. Peter Jensen
- Good point. You'll just work around it for now, and turn in code that assumes localhost port 227. However, a good design will allow us to s change this assumption quickly. -Patrick Parker
Are we supposed to be able to add stocks to be monitered now. If so, do we only use the stocks that are in the hypothetical Stock Ticker you gave us?
- Yes, you must be able to add stocks to be monitored. The user should be able to determine what indeces they want to add. Don't limit the user to certain stocks... unless you have an easy, well-documented way to add others. -Patrick Parker
How are we supposed to turn this in? cs2340@cc... rejected my submission, claiming that "L9" is invalid (I've !!'ed out my passwd):
Your submission was rejected for the following reason:
Invalid assignment (l9) specified in header.
Here is the subject line you specified:
It should adhere to the following format:
| L9 turnin appears to be working this morning (Mon 4/17/2000)|
Link to this Page
- Lab Questions last edited on 12 April 2000 at 5:05 pm by r56h205.res.gatech.edu.