Hotspots: Admin Pages | Turn-in Site |
Current Links: Cases Final Project Summer 2007
LOS PIMPS Cases and Tutorials
LOS PIMPS CASES AND TUTORIALS!
Jaime Yap gtg600e
Jeffrey Rosellen gtg737e
Ryan Burke gte303z
Mike Botelho gtg878b
Our project was a multifunctional Geneology application. Here are the Milestone descriptions: http://coweb.cc.gatech.edu/cs2340/3376.
This cases page has many gems of information and actual code examples to hopefully help you out with your squeak project. Specifically, we will be going over Squeak GUI design, WebSite access, simple HTML Parsing, GEDCOM file parsing, matching/merging algorithms, Design tips, simple data structure, and general Squeak stuff.
Scroll down for the cases and tutorials!
A few screens:
The BEST advice you'll ever read:
- Learn morphic. Prefab is good for making traditional gui layouts, but it is not where as powerful as morphic. It's hard to make the gui look attractive, and for complicated GUI behaviour, it will actually take you more time to code the GUI actions using prefab than with normal morphic. BUT morphic is scary and harder to jump into, so for a quick start Prefab is an ok choice.
- Start as early as you can. We didn't and we payed with all nighters.
- Do UML in a real UML editor. We had to use Ecode this semester and we REALLY didn't like it. Design is REALLY REALLY important and the best design tool for OOD is UML. I guess the ecode scenarios helped supplement, but nothing lays stuff out like a good class diagram.
- Look at cases code. Well obviously you know that since your here but believe me cases can save your butt in a bind. Nothing helps you learn squeak and solve squeak problems than by looking at squeak code.
- Hack Squeak to fix squeak errors. Squeak and Squeak tools have design flaws. If something throws a squeak error, it isn't necessarily something you should have to bother change in your code (although it usually is). Prefab list boxes for example ARE STUPID. They die if you add a scroll bar to an empty list box. The beauty of squeak is that you can go in and change anything you want. So if you feel that a morphic object shouldn't die if you do something. Change morphic. JUST BE SURE TO FILE IT OUT AND TURN IT IN!!!
- Most importantly, don't have just one guy turn everything in. Let me tell you that you are guaranteed to have a mishap. All nighters mess with your head and if your the point man you are bound to not turn in something.
- Get back what you just turned in, and set it up on a fresh squeak image so that you can be sure your TA can run the code.
And finally, why you came here....
The Cases and Tutorials:
Los Pimps - Milestone 1
Los Pimps - Milestone 5
Los Pimps - Milestone 6
Los Pimps - Prefab Tutorial
Los Pimps - Matching Tutorial
Los Pimps - Parsing Tips
Our Turnin for our final submission.
(its the code you want):
Link to this Page
- Cases last edited on 30 July 2011 at 2:33 am by r59h132.res.gatech.edu