Hotspots: Admin Pages | Turn-in Site |
Current Links: Cases Final Project Summer 2007
Bobo Hydro 3000
Squeak will continue on to the year 3000!!!
Squeaken allows users to manage and make intelligent analysis of their accounts (including and not limted to equity/bond accounts and cash instruments) with near realtime quotes(whatever data is available from internet source).
This project was broken down to 7 parts with each part indicated by milestones(M).
M1: Create a basic set of accounts
M2: Handle multiple users and portfolios, Create basic GUI
M3: Design System
M4: User Interface Design and Implementation
M5: Monitor/Track stock activity from Web
M6: Handle basic queries on system
M7: Web-Enable the application
Initially, we were all foreign to the SmallTalk/Squeak language. Honestly, we didn't even know how to make a morphic label on top of a box morph (to this day, some of our backend member still do not know how to code morphic objects). Well well as you guess it, after few sleepless nights, we finally got a pink box up that made everything pretty. So its not so bad... Only after we coded the entire basis of the system, we finally got some sleep. Goodnight CoC.
Suggestions to future Squeakers
- Utilize your TA. Have him/her sit down and run through some GUI morphs. You can spend countless hours in creating such simple standard GUI items such as list box.
- Plan ahead and make sure everyone is always doing something. Perhaps if one of your member has a car, their car can always be used for early morning donut runs.
- Keep track of time and set practical deadlines. Squeak can be such a time warp. You can lose several hours diciplining your Squeak.
- Solve the problem. Stop wasting time adding features that would give your program a stellar performance but cut the crap and get to the point. Read your contract with your eyes wide open. You will get graded for just the functionality and it seems HCI or any points of that nature was defenestrated.
- Use the tutorials that are posted on the 'cases' page. These tutorials should either work or not. Spend no more than say, 10 min trying to figure out what the tutorial is trying to do. Its probably broke. You dont need to fix anymore broken modules other than Squeak.
- Do not use CVS and DVS without full understanding on how merging works. In a nutshell, CVS works flawlessly with any ordinary C, JAVA files but smalltalk code has lot of junk and header tags that usually ends up conflicting with the previous version. Just divide up your code into numerous class groupings and sneaker-net(use floppy and your sneakers) your files over.
Link to this Page
- Cases last edited on 30 July 2011 at 2:33 am by r59h132.res.gatech.edu