Hotspots: Admin Pages | Turn-in Site |
Current Links: Cases Final Project Summer 2007
Here are errata and notes on the slides for the course (relevant to Spring 2000 – I plan to fix these in future versions :-)
- Slide 4: Needs a better transitions from What is OOP? into the details for history, Sketchpad
- Slide 5: 1/3 Mile Square Canvas is "Other Features:"
- Slide 7: "Biology as model" of Objects
- Slide 8: Birth of "Objects"
- Slide 11 should appear before slide 10, I think
- Same with 12 and 13
- Slide 14: Unusual (at the time) implementation structure
- Slide 15: "Pieces" is awkward
- Slide 16: Move around – pieces are placed oddly
- Slide 6: "SmallInteger objects" -> SmallInteger object
- Slide 17: Need to contrast [a 12] and (a 12)
- Slide 18: Need to add – equations are not resolved algebraically, but right-to-left
- Slide 20: String SIZES are immutable. String characters can be changed using at:put:
- Slide 22: Should do these live in Squeak – easier to see
- Slide 25: Revisit () vs. 
- Slide 27: "Uninitialized objects" -> Uninitialized variables
- Slide 44 (ch2-p4-tour slide 13): The MethodMorph here is just to use in demonstrating senders/implementers from a method that uses findTokens:
- Slide 13: Change undrawNameColor: to drawNameColor:
- Slide 14: Lots of issues embedded in "super new initialize" that need to be expanded. Why super and not self? Why does this return an instance of Box? If Box and NamedBox had the same definitions of new, what would happen?
- Slide 18-21: Do some of these live in class
- Slide 36: Bullet should be :=
- Slide 44: WRONG CLASS DIAGRAM! This isn't the right one from the book
- Slide 8: Should read "Lay down the card that starts the scenario"
- Slide 11: UML = Unified Modeling Language, not Universal. Also, there are three creators of UML.
- Slide 41: AlarmClock CRC references Clock, in order to "delegate" via "super nextSecond." Not exactly good CRC form, since OOA shouldn't KNOW about class hierarchy. But makes the point here of delegation-to-superClass.
- Slide 54: Be sure to point out the TWO AlarmClocks here
- Slide 55: Need to justify the Filtering reasons as basically a prototyping approach. We're tossing days and doing it inefficiently to put something together for later tossing.
- Slide 56: AppointmentBook does not have a link to SecondsTimer or Clock (hard to see in this diagram anyway!), Appointment does. This is a bug in the book, too.
- Slide 60: makeAppointment is an INSTANCE method of AppointmentBook. May not be obvious.
- Slide 70: "You don't want God objects"
- Slide 17: Don't forget c stop
- Slide 34: Point out that ClockText talks to Clock, not ClockWindow
- Slide 42: "change:" should be "changed:". "toolbooks" should be "toolbox".
- Slide 48: "change:" should be "changed:".
- Slide 56: Mismatch between code and title
- Slide 57: Code and slide have wrong point for AddHour button: It starts at 0@100, not 100@100
- Slide 67: "spaceFilling" should be "spaceFill"
- Slide 71: Morphic is research for the PROGRAMMER mostly. The interface result will be great for the users (e.g., more animated interfaces), but the current implementation is nicer for the programmer than the end user (e.g., colored halos). "This isn't an interface for your grandmother, but it might be for your grandchildren."
- Slide 96: (Missing) Compare/contrast MVC-Morphic. Morphic is better for animated displays, easier to build for. MVC is more efficient. Morphic CAN use dependency mechanism, but can also use step methods to directly poll models. Functionality of controllers in MVC is built into HandMorph in Morphic.
Here are a couple of minor corrections.
- On page 156 you mention the "change:" method a couple of times. It should be the "changed:" method. (The second reference should be in bold.)
- You should also make the same change to slides 31 and 32 for chapter 5. Slide 36 has the correct name for this method.
Link to this Page
- Book Information last edited on 10 January 2005 at 1:33 pm by lawn-199-77-209-194.lawn.gatech.edu