Hotspots: Admin Pages | Turn-in Site |
Current Links: Cases Final Project Summer 2007
Squeak Assassins Milestone 3 Case Study
Milestone 3 required us to specify the design we would use for all the remaining milestones, including the last two, which were in 3D. Having gone through the first three CS classes, all the members of our group were used to problem solving and coding, however design like this was completely new to us. As a result, in many ways this was one of the most difficult milestones for our group.
However, I think this was probably the most interesting milestone when looked at in retrospect. This milestone was the first major advance design our group had to produce. We couldn't simply sketch out something and modify it as we go – we had to produce a complete design in advance. Also, I think it's interesting to compare this with how the designs of our later milestones actually turned out.
The issues at our first meeting:
- The designs for the next few milestones would most likely be very similiar to our design for P2, but what about the designs for P6 and P7? Both milestones were to be done in 3D, and no one had any idea how Wonderland worked.
- When we sketched our first design, we weren't sure it really showed the best Object-Oriented Design.
The eventual solutions:
After a while, we had some solutions by various group members proposed that our group could agree on.
- Rather than try and design for a tool with which none of us was familiar, we would try and keep the design generic – independent of any particular language or tools.
- After several various proposals, we were able to finally agree on a design.
The final design:
Other notes and random things:
- If you're reading this, I hope you'll take the opportunity to see how our design actually worked out. Milestone 4, Milestone 6, and Milestone 7 would be particularly interesting in this regard.
Link to this Page