Hotspots: Admin Pages | Turn-in Site |
Current Links: Cases Final Project Summer 2007
Summer 2001 Lecture Notes
Most lecture notes are on the CD. Here are the ones that aren't.
- xml-notes.zip (xml.ps)– A good way to learn design is to look at alternative designs for the same problem. These notes compare several XML implementations for Squeak.
- messages.zip (messages.ps) – Objects do things by sending messages. These notes are about messages and about their variations.
- vm.zip (vm.ps) – Real computers don't understand objects, and so they require a virtual machine to simulate them. Here is how VM's are organized. Also describes how to extend the VM with plugins, and has an example plugin for running commands with system().
- parsing.zip (parsing.ps) – Converting data from a text file into objects is called parsing. These notes talk about parsing in general, show you how to do it by hand, show you how to do it with T-Gen, and suggest a process for developing your own parser.
- morphinsanity.zip – some examples of using a little programming to spice up a multimedia system
- dp2.zip (dp2.ps) – A description of several design patterns from the GoF book. (also, don't forget about dp.ppt which is on the CD-ROM!)
- gc.pdf – notes from Olin Shiver's garbage collection talk. All you need to know is the material up to through the stop and copy algorithm, i.e. pages 1-19.
Viewing the Slides
The ZIP files contain Squeak images. To view them, uncompress the ZIP file and run Squeak on the resulting image.
The PS files are Postscript files. They aren't as nice to use on a computer, but they can be printed out and carried around.
Links to this Page