Course Learning Objectives
Computer Science Learning Objectives
- Students will be able to program Java classes and methods using a subset of data types and using assignment, method calls, while loops, for loops, and conditionals. The goal will continue to be "coding from example" as opposed to "coding on a blank sheet of paper."
- Students will learn how to use and manipulate several core data structures: Arrays, linked lists, trees, stacks, and queues.
- Students will be able to construct simple Java user interfaces and identify where data structures are appearing in those user interfaces.
Media Learning Objectives
- Students will be able to explain the role of data structures in structuring and manipulating data, especially multimedia.
- Students will be able to explain key issues of modern animations, such as sound synchronization and moving objects in layers.
- Students will be able to discuss the properties, strengths, and weaknesses of the different structuring approaches for media.
- Students will be able to design, define, and implement continuous and discrete event simulations (including resources) involving basic agents (e.g., predator/prey, disease propagation models).
- Students will be able to explain the value of computation for modeling and simulation.