Feel free to contribute wherever you see fit. Please respect the integrity of others' contributions and arguments. If you have comments on others' posts, please create comment pages or leave a comment at the end of the page.
Issues currently open for Debate:
suggest an issue
Choose one of the following issues to investigate. In the end, you may agree or disagree with the position as it is stated here.
You do not need to defend these positions, you may also challenge them!
1. The annual registration tax on passenger vehicles should be inversely proportional to their gas mileage.
Issue 1 Positions
- Issue 1 Resources
2. Financial aid at Georgia Tech should be primarily merit-based rather than need-based.
Issue 2 Positions
- Issue 2 Resources
3. The US should create a uniform national system for elections to national office, including voter qualifications and registration, the operation of polling places, and the machinery of voting (electronic, paper ballot, etc.).
Issue 3 Positions
- Issue 3 Resources
4. The US government has the right to incarcerate foreign nationals suspected of terrorism without formal charges or the advice of an attorney.
Issue 4 Positions
- Issue 4 Resources
5. Because of the public's investments made in drug research through universities and federal agencies such as the National Institutes of Health, the profits that pharmaceutical companies earn on drugs should be regulated.
Issue 5 Positions
- Issue 5 Resources
6. The US government should undertake a large-scale research and development program to achieve energy independence by the year 2030.
This issue requires that you include a proposal for funding this program.
Issue 6 Positions
- Issue 6 Resources
7. Title IX has had a beneficial/harmful effect on high school and college athletics and should be continued/scaled back.
Issue 7 Positions
- Issue 7 Resources
8. The US should be considered by other nations as a model to follow in promoting political, social, and moral progress.
This issue requires a clear definition of 'progress.'
Issue 8 Positions
- Issue 8 Resources
9. The U.S. Government should establish a foreign policy substantially increasing its support of United Nations peacekeeping operations.
Issue 9 Positions
- Issue 9 Resources
10. Rehabilitation should be valued over punishment in the U.S. Judicial system.
Issue 10 Positions
- Issue 10 Resources
11. The U.S. Government should substantially increase public health services for mental health care in the United States.
Issue 11 Positions
- Issue 11 Resources
12. Limiting the freedom of expression of adults is justified by society's interest in protecting children.
Issue 12 Positions
- Issue 12 Resources
This is where you can play around with the collaborative website (CoWeb) without messing up anybody's pages.